Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Practicing Surgeon - Patients Beware!


Jonathan and I were talking about what he wants to be when he grows up. His list has included: Monster Truck Driver, Nascar Driver, Pet Trainer, Video Game Designer, Astronaut, Book Collector, and Paleontologist to name a few. Then I mentioned how being a Doctor might be something he should consider for a few reasons. One is, it is a "helping people" job and another is they make quite a bit of money. 

That woke him up! "How much, Mom?" "Oh, more than $200,000 a year." That settled it! Dr. Jonathan Cooper, MD, Surgeon has emerged. The boy has spent every waking moment practicing. Drawing pictures of people, "opening" different areas of their body, and closing them with various types of sutures, including (but not limited to) tape, bandaids and safety pins. Here are some examples of his victims...ah, I mean patients. They all survived and their families were very pleased.

 

I love how my son is progressing. He is thinking of his future, dreaming of his career, using his imagination, showing creativity. A few years ago I found a sticky note in my son's permanent school files. It said, "Problem with mother. She thinks her son will be in general education classroom someday." Obviously, whoever wrote that never intended for me to see it, but neither did she take into consideration how love, prayer and therapy can create infinite possibilities for our children. My goal is not to mold my son into a surgeon, but to help him dream dreams of limitless potential. I'm reminded of an old children's song,

I am a promise, I am a possibility  
I am a promise, with a capital 'P'  
I'm a great big bundle of potentiality
I am learning, to hear God's voice  
And I am trying to make the right choice  
For I'm a promise to be anything God wants me to be.

What a great theme song for any child! Because of the Hope God has given us. Our children have such vast potential and promise. We should never limit our view of what they may achieve!

1 comment:

  1. How very true! Our kids with autism never cease to amaze and astound us at they achieve goals we were told would be impossible, climb mountains to reach a fulfilling and joy-filled life, and strive earnestly and tirelessly to be everything God created them to be - beautiful, successful, and creative indivduals who reflect His Glory. Thanks for sharing!
    Brook

    ReplyDelete